Thursday 26 June 2014

THE MERGING OF WATER & LAND: AN EXPLANATION OF THE PAINTING PROCESS


The Merging Of Water & Land:

The Merging Of Water & Land was created after a period of wet weather swept its way across Lincolnshire. The nest day was slightly brighter and I had planned to create some on site paintings, for this particular day I was visiting the West Common area.

The scene in question caught my eye as I was searching for perspectives of intrigue. With this scene you had the woods in the background, with the sky above, the grassy fields further in the foreground and two puddles of water saturating the ground in the middle of the space. I simply thought that it had so many aspects open to the eye, many areas to transcribe, I thought that it would create a piece where your draw all over the painting, always becoming more inquisitive, the more you glance at it.

I decide to change the size of this piece from the 240cm x 180cm of The Blue Elephant in the Natural, to more of identification with the true landscape panorama, at 240cm x 90cm. I don’t believe that the scale of the previous is inaccurate, as it suits the proportions of the subject matter and in this case it would link each section of the land more closely, unifying it better.
Throughout the process I developed the techniques that were open to me, trying to emphasise the possibility for mark making, scraping away at areas when dryer to create texture and to reveal some interesting visuals underneath, hidden gems, as well as breaking up the boldness of some areas.

The water was a particular area to get right, not only the colours, but how much would be revealed, after all it is the merging of the water and land and so there needed to be a balance. Ultimately I am happy with how it progressed, there was a lot of subject matter to cover and make sure that it was represented through the accurate colouring and the most appropriate texture that would suit it.

In terms of when I thought it was ready to be left alone for a while, it emerged when I was adding to the outer layers, the grassy field, when I felt that the detail of the surrounding areas was in danger of overpowering and the ideas of sparsity and density balance, was instigated.


Email: paintingtheland@hotmail.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PaintingTheLand
Blog: https://paintingtheland.blogspot.com
Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110371444250404026212/about

The Merging Of Water & Land 2014, Oil on Canvas


No comments:

Post a Comment